Tuesday 27 November 2007

Holiday Autism

So, as this is an Autistic perspective Blog, I wanted to write something about my perspective when it comes to holidaying. What you all may percieve as something normal, ordinary, and commonplace is a whole world of excitement for me!

I have a very very good long term memory, and a poor short term memory. It means, I cannot remember clearly what I ate last night, but I can remember the people from here last year as clearly as a normal person remembers yesterday. And that really freaks people out!

A prime example is Les from last year. I go to this very cool bar called La Fiesta (in Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria, The Commercial Centre. Check it out) and she used to work there last year. Now, she came into La Fiesta last night and was chatting with my friend Antonio who has worked at the bar since year dot. I remembered her, despite only seeing her a total of 6 nights. She remembered me, but really doubted I would remember her. Of course I remembered her. I got into a drinking contest with her, and won (she had to stop, and she was sick the next day. I went out on a daytrip with a clear head...) But you know, it kinda freaked her out! She didn´t expect me to remember her.

Then there are the sights. Flowers I don´t see in England, and as I am a tactile person, I touch them. The way the water leaves patterns across the pool. The different colours in the clouds at the different times of day. All these things are exciting to me. Even the feel of the water. I don´t swim at home (bad experiences in communal changing rooms) but here I can. And I do. And it´s great! Not that I am very good at swimming, but I can swim for a bit, twist and turn in the water, feel the resistance of the water against my skin. All lovely to me, and somewhat juvenile to the people watching at the poolside. An almost 30 year old man kicking in the water like a kid.

And the food. I will admit, as a smoker (bad I know) I can´t taste as much, but, what I can taste, it goes way above what I get at home. Last night I had roast duck in fruits of the forest sauce, and without exagerating, it was orgasmic. Presisely the same feelings inside as when I...well...you know! Same with the little praline chocolates we had. And I even had afternoon tea today! So odd. There I am, in 28 degree heat, overlooking beautiful sea views, drinking a nice (if odd tasting) cup of tea, and eating a couple of slices of fruit and nut sponge. I loved it. Simply because it was an everyday experience in an unconventional location. I am not even sure if the experience compares in the "normal" world. Comment and let me know if you get the same pleasures I do from just doing something normal, in a place you wouldn´t very often do so.

So, that is all. I was just looking over the balcony of my room and thinking I should blog about how holidays make me feel. And sorry for not blogging more. Had to work the week before I went on holiday. Didn´t like that. Disrupts the routine I have. But ho hum.

Adios amigos!

No comments: